Artificial Reefs of the Keys About ARK See pictures of the ship and the dive site History of the Vandenberg/Harry Taylor Contact Artificial Reefs of the Keys More about the Vandenberg project

Timeline| Next |

Built By Kaiser shipyard, Richmond CA

 

Ship just launched, without armament

Photo from the collection of Fred Knott

General Harry Taylor was launched 10 October 1943 under Maritime Commission contract by Kaiser Co. Inc., yard 3, Richmond California; sponsored by Mrs. Mamie M. McHugh; acquired by the Navy 29 March 1944; Placed in ferry commission 1 April 1944 for transfer to Portland, Oregon, for conversion to a transport by Kaiser Co. Inc., Vancouver Washington; decommissioned 10 April, 1944; and commissioned in full 8 May 1944 at Portland. Captain J. L. Wyatt in command.
Built by Kaiser 1943 | Crew and Troops | Life Aboard Ship | Shoreleave | Troops and Sailors | Who was Harry Taylor? |
Pacific Ports of Call | San Francisco | New Guinea | Pearl Harbor |
"Magic Carpet" bringing home the troops | Marseilles | Egypt | Service With MSTS |